Spaghetti with a creamy yet creamless fresh corn sauce, porky guanciale and sweet crab.
TOTAL TIME : 45 MIN
SERVINGS : 4
• 1 packet of 500g Spaghetti
• 4 cups of corn kernels, shucked
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• l/4 pound guanciale (Italian cured meat/salami), diced
• 2 medium shallots, minced
• 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus finely grated zest, for garnish
• Salt, to taste
• Pepper, to taste
• ½ packet of 450g Shore Mariner Genuine Blanched Crab Meat (Jumbo or Lump)
• Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
- Transfer the 4 cups of corn kernels to a blender and puree until smooth. Strain the puree through a fine sieve, pressing on the solids.
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the spaghetti according to the packet or best until al dente. Reserve 2 cups of the cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- Wipe out the saucepan and melt the butter in it. Add the guanciale and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered, about 7 minutes.
- Then, add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti, strained corn puree, 11/4 cups of the pasta cooking water and the lemon juice.
- Add in the crab and cook over moderate heat, tossing, until the sauce is thickened and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes; add more of the cooking water if necessary.
- Season the pasta with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to shallow bowls and drizzle with olive oil. Garnish with lemon zest and serve right away.
- MAKE AHEAD - The strained corn puree can be refrigerated overnight.
- SUGGESTED PAIRING - Serve this pasta dish with a tangy Sauvignon Blanc of choice.